At Vac-King Vacuum Excavations in South East Queensland, we provide services in conjunction with Dial Before You Dig (DBYD). This is a free national community service, developed to mitigate the risk of damage and disruption to underground assets throughout Australia. When you utilise DBYD services, the owners of underground assets will be notified. They can then provide you with the plans of these assets at the designated worksite.
It’s important to note that plans acquired via DBYD only give details regarding concealed services within the vicinity of the requested work area. They do not provide an exact location (as assets may move and change over time). As such, it is crucial to have professionals undertake utility service location work before digging. We at Vac-King Vacuum Excavations can provide these services using state-of-the-art Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) equipment.
To carry out excavation safely and in accordance with DBYD stipulations, it’s important to adhere to the five ‘P’s. These are as follows:
1. Planning: This involves ensuring that all delineated (and potential) underground works are factored into excavation plans.
2. Preparation: This involves the collation of all utility plans and conducting the site investigation. This should be done by an underground DBYD-certified locator. We at Vac-King Vacuum Excavations can provide this service.
3. Pothole: This entails detecting underground utilities by potholing the site using vacuum excavation.
4. Protect: Ensure clear cut information regarding the concealed work is made available to all workers onsite—so they, and the infrastructure, can remain protected.
5. Proceed: When all underground assets have been detected, delineated and incorporated into the plans, construction can proceed.